Swissnex is the Swiss global network connecting the dots in educ
Title: Events & Operations Associate (internship)
Status: Full-time, 12-month contract (6-month option available)
Start Date: March 1, 2023
Reports to: Events & Community Manager
Swissnex is the Swiss global network connecting the dots in education, research, and innovation. Our impact is centered around empowering next generation innovators to become changemakers by connecting talents and expertise from Switzerland, North America and the world. The Swissnex global network consists of six locations and outposts established in the world’s most innovative hubs. We contribute to strengthening Switzerland’s profile as a world-leading innovation hotspot.
We are looking for an Events & Operations Associate (internship) to gain international experience and support our diverse programs serving next generation innovators and leaders across education, research, innovation, and creativity. The ideal candidate will be curious above all, detail oriented with excellent follow through, and be passionate about gaining experience in an international and entrepreneurial environment.
The Events & Operations Associate (EOA) will assist in coordinating the successful production of all events taking place at Swissnex’s community space at Pier 17 in San Francisco, with the goal of learning to manage all aspects of event preparation and production.
In addition to working on events, the EOA will learn and execute responsibilities (outlined below) related to Swissnex staff operations and Pier 17 facility concerns. This internship will prepare the selected candidate for a mid-level position in events management and/or organizational operations.
The Events & Operations Associate will hold the following responsibilities, among others:
Event Logistics & Production (50%)
Teamwork: Attend all event-related meetings with Operations team and liaise with Programs and Communications teams to ensure timely and eﬀective cross-team planning and outreach
Liaison: Represent Swissnex, alongside Operations and Programs staff, with external partners producing events at the Swissnex Pier 17 location
Production: Under supervision, support the coordination of all events at Swissnex, including but not limited to: confirming event production needs; ensuring alignment with budget / capacity / space and human resources availability; fulfilling catering orders and ensuring timely delivery; preparing detailed list of roles and tasks organized in temporal sequence for each event; greeting guests; and assisting with event setup and clean up. Work evening Swissnex events, as needed
Operations, Admin & Facility (30%)
Facility: Support maintaining a clean and organized work environment, including office space, conference rooms, storage areas, reception and event spaces
Operations: Under supervision, work to identify ways to make our work at Swissnex more efficient, productive and organized by evaluating current space use and event protocols. Assist with reception duties and protocols; greet visitors and partners.
Administrative Support: Support the Ops team with basic administrative duties including email correspondences, contracts and accounting support, and inventory management
Organize community related events, including community lunches and staff team building events
Support internal community communications
Maintain community wall of Pier 17 staff profiles & community program calendar
In the absence of the Events and Community Manager, provide backup coverage for capacity planning, event logistics, evening event production and community management.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Passionate about bringing people together and designing unique experiences
- Some experience leading projects and using project management tools
- Experience in event production and hospitality a plus
- Experience with basic marketing, content development, and event planning is a plus
- Experience in building and maintaining a community is a plus
- Excellent English language and communications skills
- Proactive problem solver and team player with a growth mindset and positive attitude
- Passionate about innovation, impact and connecting people
- Willingness to experiment and go the extra mile
- Reliable “doer” with the ability to follow processes where necessary
- Ability to deal with uncertainty and thrive in a fast-paced, creative, and fluid work environment
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time during events and must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at times.
What We Offer
- Opportunity to join a startup-like, low-hierarchy environment, shape processes and proactively contribute ideas
- Learn from experienced program and event organizers, sharpen project management skills, get access to inspiring content and people
- Collaborate with interesting internal and external partners in the fields of science, education, art and innovation in both the SF Bay Area and Switzerland
- Attend regular free events and programs and have access to professional development opportunities
- The chance to work with an experimental, engaged, and strengths-based team
- Work for a Swiss organization at beautiful Pier 17, located in a premier global innovation hub
- Internship compensation is CHF 2,680/ month, in compliance with guidelines of the Swiss Federal Government, and is paid locally each month in USD
Eligibility Criteria for Internship
- Candidate is a Swiss citizen
- Candidate studies in a university or university of applied sciences in Switzerland towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and is requested to do an internship in order to obtain the degree, OR the last university degree (Bachelor/Master) is not older than one year at the beginning of the internship
- Candidate has not gained professional experience in the field of his/her studies
- The total period of internships (“Hochschulpraktikum”/ “Stage académique”, including the one at Swissnex) within the Swiss confederation does not exceed 12 months.
Ready to Apply?
To be considered, you must apply through our website and include your resume (CV) along with a cover letter.
Deadline to apply is December 15, 2022.